Mental Health, HCV and the Brain
Our mental health is key to our sense of well-being, and HCV can affect our brain in many ways.
- Mental stress is very bad on the liver, which can worsen symptoms of HCV. Mental and physical health of HCV+ people are strongly related.
- Hepatitis C viruses have been known to cross the ‘blood-brain barrier’.
- Liver damage can also cause toxins to remain in the blood, eventually causing damage to the brain leading to coma.
- Psychotropic drugs can also interact dangerously with other drugs such as those taken to fight HCV and its symptoms.
- Many people with HCV already have mental health and addiction issues which are made worse as the virus does its damage.
Read more about…
HCV and Addiction