The Week in Review: May 18 – May 25, 2018

Friday, May 25, 2018 News Recap: In Brief: Liver Stiffness Measurement as a Potential Screening Tool for Liver-Related Events in HCV. The rate of advanced liver fibrosis in community as opposed to urban settings appears to be significant (16.5%) and often underdiagnosed; therefore, liver stiffness measurement is a feasible community screening tool that can be used to predict liver-related events, according to a study published in the Journal of He...

Hepatitis C Infections Resulting From Medical Treatment Occur Despite Clear Guidelines

CHICAGO, May 22, 2018 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In a 10 year span, more than 130,000 patients were notified of medical errors that may have exposed them to blood-borne illness, including Hepatitis C.  However, the majority of these notification events were discovered only after patients became acutely ill rather than through proactive reporting of violations of health safety protocols, according to a review in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Assoc

The Week in Review: June 16 – June 30, 2017

Friday, June 30, 2017 News Recap Well if you blinked you didn’t miss it because there was no Weekly Bull last week.  Just felt that it was best not to bother you all for not much. But now we have quite a few items to share. Important Warning: Please please be aware of computer safety.  There are all kinds of viruses out there that will destroy your computer and trash your files and work.  If it happened to banks and even Merck it can happen to you...

Patients of Hamilton doctor may have been exposed to HIV and hepatitis

This is scary!  Have you had a similar procedure done? Hamilton Public Health is advising patients of a Hamilton doctor to get tested for infectious diseases. Officials say anyone who received in-office surgical procedures including the removal of skin tags, warts, moles and cysts or biopsies of skin cancers at Dr. Lorin Harding’s clinic in Hamilton may have been exposed to improperly cleaned instruments. In a letter to former and current patients, Pub

1,000 Covenant Health patients potentially exposed to hepatitis B and C

At least 1,000 Covenant Health patients may have been exposed to hepatitis B and C, the organization revealed on Wednesday. Possible exposure was during insulin training sessions in Edmonton between 2013 and 2016. Updated:  More than 1,300 Covenant Health patients being treated for diabetes may have been exposed to hepatitis B and C during insulin training sessions, the organization revealed on Wednesday. The health agency has mailed letters to a to

Inappropriate syringe reuse led to hep C transmission in Texas hospital, CDC says

Note from CD: Many years ago several seniors in a hospital in Florida were infected this way because inserting the syringe into the intravenous line cause a back pressure leak that forced solution into the syringe, and this infected solution was then shared. The news item from many years ago has disappeared, but many HCV advocates remember this event.  If you have the source please contact us at HepCBC. A nurse in a Texas hospital mistakenly believed sali

China: Executives sacked for hepatitis C negligence

TWO heads of a hospital in northwest China's Shaanxi Province were sacked after 26 patients contracted hepatitis C during dialysis treatment, local authorities said Friday.The president and a deputy president of Zhen'an County Hospital in Shangluo City were removed from their posts, and 13 other employees received administrative penalties, including admonitions and demerits on their records, a source with the county's health and family planning bureau said

Australia: Hep C horror at Fiona Stanley

A patient at Fiona Stanley Hospital has contracted hepatitis C — a contagious bloodborne virus that can lead to liver failure and cancer — after being infected in one of the hospital’s operating theatres.The Weekend West can reveal external public health and communicable disease experts were brought in to investigate the incident, which occurred early last year when the hospital was under fire for poor sterilisation procedures.The investigation ruled out s